Vintage Fabric - Retro Fabric - Vintage Fashion

RevivalFabrics.com blog

Thursday, February 12, 2009

If This 1972 Vintage Retro Fabric Could Talk



Last week I posted about how I excited I was to find this retro fabric with an actual date printed on the selvage.

It had me wondering...what was happening in 1972 when this vintage fabric was manufactured? Here are a few things it could tell us about:

1) David Bowie - Ziggy Stardust: men and women alike, we are still in love with David



2) Republican Richard Nixon wins the Presidential election over Democrat George McGovern. Two short years later, bad boy Nixon gave his resignation speech due to the Watergate scandal.
3) The VW Beetle was the most produced car in history.
4) Sanford and Son starring Redd Foxx as Fred G. Sanford, a junk and antique dealer, debuted in 1972 and ran for six years. When I was young, I felt I couldn't have enough stuff. Garage sales were heady events for a girl with a pocket full of jingle-jangling quarters. In our little white Datsun, my Mom and I would hit every garage sale within a 10 mile radius on many a Saturday. I'd hone in on stuffed animals like a pigeon and then move on to ceramic animals, oftentimes sidetracked by anything cat or rainbow themed. Nirvana I tell you, nirvana! I was seriously impressed by the rooms of stuff on the show. Sanford's cranky attitude didn't fool me as a kid, that mischievous twinkle in his eye gave him away.
R.I.P. Red Foxx



5) Platform shoes, all the rage for a night on the town.
6) At the movies, The Godfather was number one.
7) America was reading I'm OK, You're OK. It made the New York Times best seller list in 1972.

No comments: